I know that you are all very anxious to see my husband's most recent handyman project. Well, here it is! Drumroll ..... He created raised flower beds while I was out of town. Now you may be thinking that I'm the type of wife who always gives her husband a list of "Honey Dos". But, in my case Roger actually gives himself enough of a list that I normally don't have to prepare one for him. (We are both really bad when it comes to home improvement projects - neither one of us can say no - good for our house, not so good on our budget.) :-) He got this most recent idea while looking through a yard and landscaping book that we received from my parents as a Easter gift. He's always wanted to plant bulbs, but most other bulbs (other than tulips and daffodils) don't do well in the North over the long winter so one must dig them up each fall and re-plant them in the spring. This can be quite a task in the tougher dirt of our regular flowerbeds so he decided that it might be easier to manage the bulbs in raised beds. And wouldn't you know it - the book had diagrams and descriptions on how to create raised flower beds. For a couple of weeks he described his plans to me, but never really committed to starting the project. That is until the Friday after my work conference - the day I was leaving for Florida. I couldn't get a hold of him while waiting for the airport shuttle and when I finally did he said he'd been out pricing wood and other supplies for the project. Lucky for him, the landscaping timbers and soil were on sale at Menard's. And he was also doubly (is that even a word?) lucky because that weekend was actually going to be the first spring-like weekend in Indiana. He didn't buy the supplies before we talked, but he estimated to me that this "little" project would cost around $500. That sounded pretty reasonable to me so we decided to go ahead with this project. (Okay, actually I just said it sounded good - since I was out of town, this project was all on him. And after I found out how much manual labor it involved, I'm just a tad bit glad that I wasn't around to be involved. Not that I wished all the hard work on him - but it did sound like a lot of hard work!)
And Ta Da - above and below are the completed raised beds (26 landscaping timbers, 150 bags of soil, 100 bulbs, and 6 bags of mulch later). If I remember correctly, he planted 4 of the areas with bulbs (dahlia, ranunculus,etc.) and 2 more were left open so that we can eventually plant veggies. After many failed attempts at growing green and red peppers in years past, this year I think that we are going to keep things pretty basic -growing only tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers.