Friday, December 21, 2007

Something Yummy for My Tummy!


Chocolate Mint Sticks

Don't the above look yummy for you tummy? Earlier this week, I found myself debating what to make for a Christmas dessert pitch-in. Although I love sweets (even more than regular food, most of the time), I don't make them that often. You ask yourself why this is the case since I love them so much? The answer is simple. If I keep all the wonderfully sugary items in my house I can't help but help myself to way too many helpings. (One exception: I do keep a constant supply of dark Hershey's kisses in my fridge. One or two of those after dinner will usually satisfy my sweet tooth.) After searching through my recipe file and finding nothing suitable for a pitch-in, I luckily found the above recipe while browsing through this months Indianapolis Woman's magazine. These Chocolate Mint Sticks are a cookie version of a candy cane. They are absoultely wonderful served with a cup of hot chocolate. Upon sampling one (okay maybe two) myself, I found that the chocolate base resembles a brownie. So if you love brownies and would like to add a little twist for the holidays, this is the perfect dessert for you.
And now the recipe:
Chocolate Mint Sticks - Makes 24 sticks
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 ounces unsweeted baking chocolate, melted
1/2 cup flour
For the peppermint frosting: (I would double this recipe if you like icing, the amount below barely covered the brownie like base.)
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
Red food coloring
For the drizzle:
1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
1 tablespoon butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 8-9 inch square baking pan.
Cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in eggs. Stir in melted chocolate and flour. Pour into the greased pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting, cream together 2 tablespoons of butter, along with the milk and powdered sugar. Stir in extract and a few drops of food coloring. Frost mint sticks and set aside until frosting firms.
In a small saucepan, melt 1 ounce square of chocolate and remaining tablespoon of butter. Drizzle it over the frosting. (I placed melted drizzle into sealed lunch bag, cut the corn, and dropped circles of chocolate onto the pink icing.) Chill frosted mint sticks in the refrigerator for 30 minutes until chocolate drizzle is set. Cut into 24 stick cookies.

No comments: