Thursday, June 12, 2008

Birthday Bash

Tangy Potato Salad

Today is my nephew's 7th Birthday. I can't believe that he's already heading into the 2nd grade. It just seems like he was a tiny little baby. Time flies. Anyhoo ... my older sister is having a little get together for the family at her house tonight. I volunteered to bring a side dish. Roger and I found this really yummy-sounding recipe last night in one of our picnic cookbooks - Tangy Potato Salad. After we made it last night, we sampled it. Just the perfect amount of tang and very summery and refreshing. If you'd like to try this recipe out for yourself, please see below.

Tangy Red Potato Salad

Ingredients
2 pounds red potatoes
Medium vidalia onion, diced
8 oz frozen peas, thawed
Salt
Pepper
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tablespoons mayo
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
dill, fresh or dried

Directions:
Wash and quarter red potatoes.
Boil in salted water for 15 minutes.
In the meantime, dice onions and place in bowl. Add 2 tablespoons cider vinegar and 1/4 tsp. salt.
Once potatoes are soft, drain and add to above bowl. Let sit unrefrigerated for 30 minutes.
While potatoes are cooling, whisk 2 remaining tablespoons of cider vinegar, mayo, yogurt, and mustard together. Season with pepper and dill. Cool in refrigerator.
After potato mixture has cooled for 30 minutes, mix sauce and potatoes together. Then mix thawed peas into mixture.
Chill potato salad until cooled. For best results, refrigerate overnight and serve the following day.

2 comments:

Little Blue Violet said...

I just email my mum last night to see what I could bring to the fathers day picnic. This is just the thing! Thanks so much for posting. I love it when bloggers share already sampled recipes.
smiles
DarLy*~

Unknown said...

My husband would love that...potato salad is his fav! Happy b-day to your nephew! It was just my little sister's b-day last Sunday and I had a party for her at my house...lots of work! But a fun time...she turned 5 ;)And tomorrow she is having a tea party with her little friends that I am helping out with...wish I had that kind of fuss for my b-day...lol!

Hope you have a fabulous time!